Virginia Preschool Initiative
What is the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)?
The Virginia Preschool Initiative distributes state funds to schools and community-based organizations to provide quality preschool programs for at-risk four-year-olds unserved by the federal Head Start program.
The purpose of the grant is to reduce disparities among young children upon formal school entry and to reduce or eliminate those risk factors that lead to early academic failure.
To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes:
- Provision for a quality preschool education;
- Health services;
- Family engagement;
- Facilitation of comprehensive services including health, mental health and nutrition; and
- A plan for transportation.
For VPI Program Coordinators and Administrators
Program Requirements & Guidelines
- Office of Early Childhood COVID-19 FAQ-This is a Word document. – Updated March 26, 2020
- Early Childhood Special Education - Transition from Part C to Part B FAQ-This is a Word document. – Updated March 27, 2020
- For details about the grant, read Appropriation Act Language-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Guidelines-This is a Word document. – To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes: 1. Provision for a quality preschool education; 2. Health services; 3. Family engagement; 4. Facilitation of comprehensive services; and 5. A plan for transportation.
- Guidelines for Using Family Income Criteria in Determining Student Eligibility for VPI & Best Practices for Implementing a Local Eligibility Process-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Guidelines Webinar-This is a PPT presentation.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) New Coordinator Webinar-This is a PPT presentation.
- Focus on Quality: Creating an Early Childhood Classroom Schedule (Word) – Guidelines for creating daily classroom schedules that a school division or locality may implement or adapt. The guidelines include requirements for schools or localities receiving funds through the Virginia Preschool Initiative.
Application Process and Funding
- Virginia Preschool Initiative State Funding Based on Student Enrollment - Fall Student Record Collection-This is a Word document.
- Guidance for PK Funding and PK Experience Codes (PDF) | (Word)
- VPI Income Report (XLS)
- School Bus Transportation of Pre-School-Aged Children from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration