Board Meeting Agenda – July 24-25, 2019
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, July 24, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9:30 a.m. **
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, July 25, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the President and Vice President of the Board of Education, 2019-2021
Approval of Minutes of the June 19-20, 2019, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Quarterly Financial Report on Literary Fund; Update to the First Priority Waiting List-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia (Final Stage)-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of an Amendment to Virginia’s Consolidated State Plan under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) – Amendment Three-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure Recommendations for the Annual Education Preparation Program Profile Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia-This is a Word document.
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Standards of Quality-This is a Word document.
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Licensure Regulation for School Personnel (8 VAC20-23) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the General Assembly Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act -This is a Word document.
- First Review of the Proposed 2017 Computer Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework-This is a Word document.
- Report on the Process for State Approval of Textbooks for K-12 Science (written report)-This is a Word document. (updated 7/25/2019)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for lunch 12 p.m. Wednesday, July 24, 2019, in the Washington Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 24, 2019, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.