Board Meeting Agenda – April 23 & 25, 2019
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 12:30 p.m. **
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 25, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 20-21, 2019, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Resolution of Recognition for Virginia Education Association’s Award for Teaching Excellence Recipient, Crystal DeLong, Bedford County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition presented to Recipients of the French Academic Palms
- Cammie Williams, Roanoke County Public Schools
- Jennifer Carson, Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Kathryn Wheelock, Arlington County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition presented to Milken Family Foundation Educator Award Winner, Caroline Eschenbach, Roanoke County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate the Week of May 6-10, 2019, as Teacher Appreciation Week
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Collection and Reporting of Truancy (8VAC20-730) (Fast-Track)
- Final Review of Quarterly Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposal to Include Multiple Races Student Group in State Accreditation
- First Review of Corrective Action Plan Required by the Division-level Review for Greensville County Public Schools
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day (Year-Round Schools) for Chesterfield County Public Schools Falling Creek Elementary School
- Report on Changing Timeline and Expansion of the Review of the Health Education Standards of Learning (written report)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch 11:30 a.m., Tuesday April 23, 2019 in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for a Board Retreat on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at Hermitage High School Library, 8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, VA 23228, 8:30 a.m. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, April 24, 2019, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.