Board Meeting Agenda – March 20-21, 2019
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, March 20, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 10:00a.m.**
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40) and §2.2-3711(a)(7). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, March 21, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the January 23-24, 2019, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Recognition of Virginia’s 2018 Principals of the Year
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate April 2019, as the Month of the Military Child
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Virginia School Bus Specifications
- Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on the State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Final Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 English
- Final Review of an Amendment to Virginia’s Consolidated State Plan under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- First Review of Proposal to Include Multiple Races Student Group in State Accreditation
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Grades 3-8 Standards of Learning Mathematics Tests Based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards – Updated March 18, 2019
- First Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Designation of School Divisions of Innovation (Final Stage)
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Collection and Reporting of Truancy (8VAC20-730) (Fast-Track)
- First Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
– Updated March 21, 2019
- Item J: Attachment-This is an excel spreadsheet. – Updated March 18, 2019
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education for School Years 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 (written report)
- Report on the Timeline for the Review and Revision to the 2013 Dance Arts Standards of Learning, Music Standards of Learning, Theatre Arts Standards of Learning, and Visual Arts Standards of Learning (written report)
- Legislative Report: 2019 General Assembly (written report)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
** Following the adjournment of the business session, the Board will hold a public hearing on the Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia
Board of Education members will meet for a lunch at 1 p.m., Wednesday, March 20, 2019 in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, March 20, 2019, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.