Board Meeting Agenda – January 23-24, 2019
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 11:00a.m.**
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40) and §2.2-3711(a)(7). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 24, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 14-15, 2018, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Recognition of Virginia’s 2019 Regional Teachers of the Year and Virginia Teacher of the Year
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate January 20-26, 2019, as Virginia School Principals Appreciation Week
- Final Review of Revisions to the Procedure for Appointment of a School Division Superintendent by the Virginia Board of Education to Comport with House Bill 81 (2018)
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC20-23) to Comport with 2018 Legislation Passed by the General Assembly Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulation Action (NOIRA) to Establish an Add-on Endorsement in the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8VAC20-23) to Teach Economics and Personal Finance
- First Review of an Amendment to Virginia’s Consolidated State Plan under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- First Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 English
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Virginia School Bus Specifications
- Final Review of Report on House Bill 1530 High School Diplomas Options and Stigma in Career and Technical Education
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
** Following the adjournment of the business session, the Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed Regulations Governing the Designation of School Divisions of Innovation.
Board of Education members will meet for a lunch around 12:45 p.m., Wednesday, January 23, 2019 in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, January 23, 2019, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.