Board Meeting Agenda – September 19-20, 2018
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Full Board Convenes** – 10:00 a.m.
**The purpose of convening in this meeting is for the Board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(A)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – September 20, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 25-26, 2018, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition
- Recognition of Kennedy Strickler, 2018-2019 National President of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Final Review of the Addition of Special Permission Credit Accommodations to the Guidelines for Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Changes to the Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for the Standard, Advanced Studies, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools for World Languages-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Autism Training for Transportation Providers as required by Senate Bill 229 (2018)-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Revisions to the Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation (8VAC 20-70-350) to Conform to 2018 General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meetings Dates for 2019-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Nomination to Fill Unexpired Vacancy on the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Procedural Guidelines for Conducting Licensure Hearings-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Use of Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in Writing -This is a Word document.
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8VAC 20-131) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the General Assembly under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act-This is a Word document.
- First Review of a Request to Withhold Accreditation from George Washington Carver Elementary School in Richmond City-This is a Word document.
- State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC) Annual Report 2017-2018-This is a Word document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Update from the Committee on Evidence-Based Policymaking
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch around 12:15 p.m., Wednesday, September 19, 2018, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, September 19, 2018, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.