Board Meeting Agenda – April 25-26, 2018
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 12:30 p.m.
Executive Session #1*
* The purpose of convening this Meeting is for the board to go into executive session UNDER VIRGINIA CODE § 2.2-3711(A)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Executive Session #2**
**The purpose of convening in this meeting is for the Board to go into executive session under Virginia Code § 2.2-3711(8). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 26, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 21-22, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Resolution of Recognition presented to Milken Family Foundation Educator Award Winner, Ryan James, Lucille M. Brown Middle School, Richmond City Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition for Virginia Education Association’s Award for Teaching Excellence Recipient, Afreen Gootee, Hanover County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate the Week of May 7-11, 2018, as Teacher Appreciation Week
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund and Updated First Priority Waiting List
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s Guidelines on Exemplar School Recognition as Required by Recognition and Rewards for School and Division Accountability (8VAC20-131-410)
- Final Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Designation of School Divisions of Innovation (Proposed Stage)
- Item F – Attachment A
- Item F – Attachment B
- Item F – Attachment C-This is a PPT presentation. (PPT)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Report from the Committee on Evidence-Based Policymaking
Board of Education members will meet for a retreat beginning at 9 a.m., Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at the Virginia Housing Center, 4224 Cox Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060. The meeting is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, April 25, 2018, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourages to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.