Board Meeting Agenda –March 21-22, 2018
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 11:00 a.m.**
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, March 22, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the January 24-25, 2018, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate April 2018, as the Month of the Military Child
- Final Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 Mathematics
- Final Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 History and Social Science
- First Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List; Update to the First Priority Waiting List
- First Review of Proposed Emergency Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (Emergency/NOIRA Stage)
- First Review of the Board of Education’s Guidelines on Exemplar School Recognition as Required by Recognition and Rewards for School and Division Accountability (8VAC20-131-410)
- First Review of Revisions to Student Eligibility Criteria for Expedited Retakes of Standards of Learning Tests
- First Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Designation of School Divisions of Innovation (Proposed Stage)
- First Review of Division-Level Memorandum of Understanding for Greensville County Public Schools
- First Review of the Proposed Repeal of the Regulations Governing Minimum Standards for the Accreditation of Child Day Programs Serving Children of Preschool-Age or Younger in Public Schools (8 VAC 20-590) and the Regulations Governing Minimum Standards for the Accreditation of Child Day Programs Serving School-Age Children Offered in Public Schools ( 8 VAC 20-600)
- First Review of Revisions to the List of 2018-2019 Board of Education Approved Industry Certifications, Occupational Competency Assessments, and Professional Licenses
- Legislative Report: 2018 General Assembly (written report)
- Report on Recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Teacher Shortages
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Presentation on Research Related to Teacher Shortages - Teacher Shortages in the United States and Virginia-This is a PPT document.
- Ms. Kate Wolff, State Relations Specialist, Education Commission of the States
- Ms. Stephanie Aragon, K-12 Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States
- Update from the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- Mrs. Patty Pitts, Assistant Superintendent for Teacher Education and Licensure
- Update on Legislation Related to Teacher Shortages Passed by the Virginia General Assembly
- Dr. Cynthia Cave, Assistant Superintendent for Policy and Communications
- Update on Virginia’s ESSA State Plan
- Dr. Lynn Sodat, Director, Office of Program Administration and Accountability
The Board of Education will break for lunch around 11:45a.m., Wednesday, March 21, 2018, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.”
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, March 21, 2018, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourages to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.