Board Meeting Agenda – January 24-25, 2018
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 12:30p.m.**
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 25, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 15-16, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Recognition of Virginia’s 2017 Principals of the Year
- Recognition of Virginia’s 2018 Regional Teachers of the Year and Virginia Teacher of the Year
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate January 22-26, 2018, as Virginia School Principals Appreciation Week
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Virginia Guidelines for the Prevention of Suspension and Expulsion of Young Children: Supporting Children with Challenging Behaviors
- First Review of Request from Albemarle County Public Schools to Waive 8VAC20-160-50 (requirement to weight AP and IB courses) and Increase Graduation Requirements
- First Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 History and Social Science
- First Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 Mathematics
- First Review of Nomination to Fill a Vacancy on the State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Report on Technical Amendments from the Office of the Attorney General to the Proposed Regulations Governing the Use of Restraint and Seclusion in Public Schools in Virginia
- Report on the Timeline for the Approval of K-12 English Language Arts Textbooks (written report)
- Legislative Report: 2018 General Assembly (written report)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Addressing the Teacher Shortage and the Work Ahead on the Comprehensive Plan: 2018-2023
- Report from the Committee on Evidence-Based Policymaking
- Creation of a Committee on Policy and Legislation
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 24, 2018, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 24, 2018, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourages to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.