Board Meeting Agenda – November 15-16, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 10 a.m.*
* The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, November 16, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 26, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate November 2017, as American Indian Month
- Resolution of Recognition for Outstanding Leadership of the Office of School Nutrition Programs and the Educational Impact of School Nutrition
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Juanita McHale Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Senior Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Dr. Steven R. Staples Upon the Occasion of His Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Final Review of the Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for the 2017 English Standards of Learning-This is a PDF document.
- Final Review of Proposed Computer Science Standards of Learning-This is a PDF document.
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, Parts I-VIII (8VAC 20-131) (Final Stage) -This is a PDF document.
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan: 2018-2023-This is a PDF document. (Revised 11/16/2017)
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2017 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia-This is a PDF document.
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meetings Dates for 2018-This is a PDF document.
- First Review of the Virginia Guidelines for the Prevention of Suspension and Expulsion of Young Children: Supporting Children with Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Settings-This is a PDF document.
- The 2017 Recommendations of the School Readiness Committee -This is a PDF document.
- School Nutrition Programs: State of the Plate-This is a PDF document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Creation of a Special Committee
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.