Board Meeting Agenda – September 27-28, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.*
* The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 28, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 26-27, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Recognition of John Dumoulin, Microsoft Office Specialist World Champion in Excel and Microsoft Office Specialist U.S. National Champion in Excel
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education Presented to Dr. Billy Cannaday, Jr., Virginia Board of Education Member 2010-2017, President 2015-2017
- First Review of Requests for an Initial Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools Meeting the Reconstitution Eligibility Criteria
- First Review of Requests for Continued Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools Meeting the Reconstitution Eligibility Criteria
- First Review of Appeals for an Initial Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools Not Meeting the Reconstitution Eligibility Criteria – Revised 9/24/2017
- First Review of Appeals for a Continued Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools Not Meeting the Reconstitution Eligibility Criteria
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status – Revised 9/24/2017
- First Review of Requests for Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools Previously Rated Denied Accreditation
- First Review of Appeal Requests for Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted Schools for Schools Previously Rated Denied Accreditation
- Annual Progress Report on Memorandum of Understanding as Required for Divisions under Division-level Review for Franklin City Public Schools, Petersburg City Public Schools and Richmond City Public Schools
- Annual Progress Report on Memoranda of Understanding as Required for Schools in Accreditation Denied status for Accomack County Public Schools, Alexandria City Public Schools, Amherst County Public Schools, Brunswick County Public Schools, Buckingham County Public Schools, Buena Vista City Public Schools, Chesapeake City Public Schools, Chesterfield County Public Schools, Danville City Public Schools, Essex County Public Schools, Greensville County Public Schools, Hampton City Public Schools, Henrico County Public Schools, Lunenburg County Public Schools, Lynchburg City Public Schools, Madison County Public Schools, Newport News City Public Schools, Norfolk City Public Schools, Portsmouth City Public Schools, Prince William County Public Schools, Staunton City Public Schools, Suffolk City Public Schools, Waynesboro City Public Schools, and Westmoreland County Public Schools
- First Review of Request for Division-Level Review for Greensville County Public Schools
- First Review of a Proposal to Withhold Accreditation for A. P. Hill Elementary School in Petersburg City Due to Testing Irregularities
- First Review of the Addition of Expedited Retake Criteria to the Guidelines for Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Proposed Regulations Governing the Designation of School Divisions of Innovation
- First Review of Revisions to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8VAC20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Revisions to Family Life Education Board of Education Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for the 2017 English Standards of Learning
- First Review of Proposed Addition to Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for High School Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meetings Dates for 2018
- Report on Rebenchmarking of the Direct Aid to Public Education Budget for 2018-2020 Biennium – Revised 9/27/2017
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Annual Report from the Advisory Committee on the Education of the Gifted (VACEG)
- Report on High School Planning Innovation Grants (HSPI)
- Report on Virginia Preschool Initiative Plus (VPI+)
- Report on the Recommendations of the Taskforce to Diversify Virginia’s Educator Pipeline (TDVEP)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 27, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 27, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
**Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.