Board Meeting Agenda – June 22, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, June 22, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 25, 2017, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for a Qualifying Score on the New SAT® as a Substitute Test for Praxis Core Assessment for Entry Into a Teacher Preparation Program
- Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, Parts I-VIII (8VAC 20-131)(Proposed Stage)
- First Review of the Consolidated State Plan under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- First Review of Division-Level Memorandum of Understanding for Richmond City Public Schools
- First Review of Proposal to Establish the Governor’s STEM Academy at Osbourn High School (Manassas City)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 21, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 21, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.