Board Meeting Agenda – April 27, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 27, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
- Presentation of the Colors by Henrico High School’s Navy JROTC Color Guard
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 23, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate the Week of May 7-13, 2017, as Teacher Appreciation Week
- First Review of a Request for Renewal of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Albemarle County Public Schools, Town of Colonial Beach Public Schools, Craig County Public Schools, Highland County Public Schools, Richmond City Public Schools, Scott County Public Schools and York County Public Schools for High Schools with a Graduation Cohort of Fifty (50) or Fewer Students-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- First Review of Requests for Renewal of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Albemarle County Public Schools, Chesterfield County Public Schools, and Fairfax County Public Schools-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Averett University through a Process Approved by the Board of Education-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- First Review of Revisions to the List of 2017-2018 Board of Education Approved Industry Certifications, Occupational Competency Assessments, and Professional Licenses.-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the School Bus Driver Physical Form in the Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation (Exempt Action)-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Report from the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV)-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 26, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 26, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.