Standards of Accreditation
Virginia Board of Education Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia are designed to ensure that an effective educational program is established and maintained in Virginia's public schools. The accreditation standards:
- Provide an essential foundation of educational programs of high quality in all schools for all students.
- Encourage continuous appraisal and improvement of the school program for the purpose of raising student achievement.
- Foster public confidence.
- Assure recognition of Virginia's public schools by other institutions of learning.
- Establish a means of determining the effectiveness of schools.
Standards For Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
Accreditation Benchmarks change beginning with testing data for the 2012-2013 school year for ratings awarded in the 2013-2014 school year.
- Science and History and Social Science: 3rd grade pass rates increase from 50 percent to 70 percent.
- English: Pass rates for grades 6 through 12 increase from 70 percent to 75 percent.
- Accreditation Benchmark Changes Beginning in 2012-2013 and Implementation of the Academic and Career Plan (PDF)
- A student must earn a board-approved career and technical education credential to graduate with a Standard Diploma, beginning with students entering ninth grade for the first time in 2013-2014.
- A student must successfully complete one virtual course, which may be non-credit bearing, to graduate with either a Standard or Advanced Studies diploma, beginning with students entering ninth grade for the first time in 2013-2014.
- The Modified Standard Diploma is folded into the Standard Diploma and applies to students entering ninth grade for the first time in the 2013-2014 school year. Credit accommodations will be provided for students with disabilities. Guidelines for credit accommodations will be issued by the Board of Education.
- As of July 1, 2012, the Standard Technical and Advanced Technical Diploma are eliminated.
- Diploma Changes (Summary of Major Revisions to Regulations) (PDF)
Academic and Career Plan
- Implementation of this Plan, which is required for all students beginning in middle school, would begin in the 2013-2014 school year.
- Guidance Regarding Maximum Class Size and Student-Teacher Ratios (PDF)
- Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (PDF)
- Fact Sheets:
- Graduation Requirements – Information on college and career readiness, diploma requirements, coursework, assessments, and the Academic and Career Plan.
Please submit any questions you have about the regulations or guidance document to the Office of Policy by phone 804-225-2092 or by email at email@example.com
Standards of Accreditation Archives
Documents are PDF files. Standards from 1970 through 1992 are scanned documents and will take longer to download.