|DATE:||July 27, 2018|
|FROM:||James F. Lane, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Application for State Funding for Alternative Breakfast Service Models 2018-2019
The purpose of this memo is to provide information on funding opportunities to increase breakfast participation. The fiscal year 2019 state budget provides $1.074 million in state funding to support increasing breakfast participation through traditional service models as well as alternative service models, referred to as Breakfast after the Bell (BaB). Each approved school will receive a state reimbursement of $0.05 per breakfast meal served in an elementary school and $0.10 per breakfast meal served in middle and high schools. These state funds will be awarded to eligible schools through the school division’s nutrition program. School divisions must submit the application to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) by August 17, 2018. The application is Attachment A to this memorandum.
Alternative Breakfast Service Models
Alternative breakfast service models provide meals to students through a distribution method different from traditional cafeteria service, offering opportunities that would otherwise limit access. Making breakfast more accessible and convenient results in an increase in breakfast participation. Some examples of alternative breakfast service models include, Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab and Go Breakfast, and Second Chance Breakfast. These models and additional resources are detailed in Attachment B.
- Schools participating in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) School Breakfast Program (SBP) with total student free or reduced price meal eligibility at and greater than 45 percent.
- Schools currently participating in the alternative breakfast service model funding.
- Schools working to expand participation in the traditional breakfast program. A plan that includes strategies for increasing student breakfast participation must be submitted with the application for these schools to be considered.
Schools receiving BaB funding must:
- Complete an application for the school division and submit it to VDOE via SNPPolicy@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. by August 17, 2018. The application is attached as Attachment A and available in SNPWeb in the download forms.
- Report the number of breakfast meals served for each school as part of the monthly School Nutrition Program (SNP) SNPWeb claim. All claims must be submitted in a timely manner.
- Participate in the evaluation of the educational impact of the models implemented and submit required data to VDOE by August 31, 2019 to be included in a statewide evaluation report. Funded schools that do not provide data by August 31, 2019 are subject to exclusion from funding in the following year. A data collection form will be provided by VDOE to all recipient schools and school divisions in December 2018 to obtain data from previous schools years and in May 2019 to obtain data from the current school year. Data will include:
- Student attendance and tardy arrivals,
- Office discipline referrals,
- Teachers’ and administrators’ responses to the impact of the alternative service models, and
- The financial impact of the alternative breakfast models on the division’s school nutrition program.
Criteria for Scoring Applications
Applications will be ranked in the following order:
- Middle and high schools with a total free and reduced eligibility of 45 percent and above implementing an alternative breakfast model.
- Elementary schools with a total free and reduced eligibility of 45 percent and above that did not receive Breakfast After the Bell funding in the 2017-2018 school year.
- Elementary schools with a total free and reduced eligibility of 45 percent and above that received funding in the 2017-2018 school year.
- All schools with a total free and reduced eligibility participation below 45 percent providing an alternative service model.
- All schools with a total free and reduced eligibility participation below 45 percent that submit a plan to increase their traditional breakfast service model.
- Complete the application and include the Division Superintendent’s signature for approval.
- Send applications to SNPPolicy@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. by August 17, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Enter alternative breakfast model type in the SNPWeb 2018-2019 annual program application for the applicant school site.
- Priority will be given to schools with free and reduced eligibility participation of 45 percent and above.
- VDOE will notify schools of their approval by September 21, 2018.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the school nutrition program specialist assigned to your school division, or Denise Branscome, Policy & Research Specialist, at (804) 225-2330, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org: Email link. , or SNPPolicy@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. .