|DATE:||May 25, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Discipline, Crime, and Violence Data Collection
The purpose of this memo is to provide information on the final submission of collected data on discipline, crime, and violence in public school divisions and regional centers/programs for the 2017-2018 school year. Data submitted must meet the following reporting requirements:
- Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia safety indicator for the School Report Card under 8 VAC 20-131
- Annual Report on Discipline, Crime and Violence in Section 22.1-279.3:1 of the Code of Virginia
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) report on suspensions and expulsions of students with disabilities
- Federal Gun-Free Schools Act
- Federal Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
New for 2017-2018
Superintendents and their designees will use the Superintendent Data Collection Approval (SDCA) application within the Single Sign-on for Web-based Systems (SSWS) portal to review and approve the verification report. Paper verification reports will no longer be used or accepted by VDOE. Please see Superintendent’s Memo #327-17, New Implementation of Superintendent Data Collection Approval (SDCA), December 8, 2017, for further information regarding this process.
Data Submission Due Dates
The data submitted will include the regular 2017-2018 school year and the data from summer school programs during summer 2017.
The closing date for the regional programs is July 13, 2018; this includes the superintendent’s electronic approval of the certification report. The program director or designee of the regional program must approve the certification report by July 13, 2018. Please make sure that you have an active SSWS account and are able to view the SDCA application. School divisions cannot finalize their discipline, crime, and violence (DCV) data until the regional programs have a final submission which includes electronic approval.
The closing date for school divisions is July 27, 2018. Superintendents must electronically approve the certification report by July 27, 2018 using the SDCA application.
The Code of Virginia§22.1-277. Suspensions and expulsions of pupils, was amended to prohibit the suspension of a student for instances of truancy (one or more unexcused absence). The attendance (A1T) offense code was removed from the DCV data collection beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, therefore divisions are not permitted to issue discipline sanctions based on attendance or truancy. Attendance regulations, intervention procedures, and professional development modules can be found on the VDOE Attendance webpage: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/prevention/attendance-truancy/index.shtml.
Request to Resubmit
The DCV window will close on July 13, 2018 for regional programs and July 27, 2018 for school divisions. Any request to reopen the window after the final deadline will require a written request from the superintendent, emailed to Tara.McDaniel@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. , Special Education Data Manager. The request must include specific changes that will be made and a plan to ensure the accuracy of future submissions. Any requests made after the deadline will impact the division’s local determination rubric for accurate and timely data submissions.
For additional information please contact:
- Bobby Kipper at email@example.com: Email link. or telephone at (804)225-4653, or Rebecca Kahila, at Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org: Email link. or telephone at (804)225-4654 regarding school safety and Student Code of Conduct guidelines or
- Tara McDaniel at email@example.com: Email link. or telephone at (804)692-0316 regarding the DCV data submission.
- Questions or comments relating to SDCA should be directed to any of the education data specialists in the Office of Education Information Management and Technology Innovations at ResultsHelp@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. .