|DATE:||April 27, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Estimated State Allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 for July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) recently received the estimated state allocations under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) for school year 2018-2019. Virginia’s federal fiscal year (FY) 2018 Perkins funding allocation is $26,747,826, which is an overall increase of 10.28 percent ($2,493,644) compared to the prior year. Please refer to the attachments for division funding allocations.
The grant award period is from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations. Approximately 34.10 percent will be available on July 1, 2018. The remaining 65.90 percent will be available on October 1, 2018. There is no provision for Perkins funds to be carried over to the next school year, which means that all funds must be expended or obligated by June 30, 2019.
Attachment A-This is a Word document. lists the school year 2018-2019 Perkins fund allocations for school divisions. Please note the following federal regulations impacting the calculation of the school division allocations:
- Perkins IV requires that states distribute secondary funds under Section 131(a)(2) of the Act based on the U.S. Census Bureau’s estimate of the number of individuals aged 5 through 17, inclusive, who reside in the school district served by such local educational agency and are from families below the poverty level for the preceding fiscal year, as determined by the most recent satisfactory data used under Section 1124(c)(1)(A) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 as amended through P.L. 114-95, compared to the total number of individuals who reside in the school districts served by all the local educational agencies in the state for such preceding fiscal year.
This computation must be based on the 2016 poverty estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau (in the column entitled “Relevant age 5 to 17 in families in poverty”), which are based on 2015-2016 school district boundaries, and which were obtained at: Link: https://www.census.gov/data/datasets/2016/demo/saipe/2016-school-districts.html: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. .
Seventy percent of local funding allocations are distributed based on this poverty data.
- Perkins IV also requires that states distribute secondary funds under Section 131(a)(1) of the Act based on the number of individuals aged 5 through 17, inclusive, who reside in the school district served by such local educational agency for the preceding year compared to the total number of such individuals who reside in the school districts served by all local educational agencies in the state for such preceding fiscal year.
This computation was based on the most updated student enrollment data, reflecting the 2015-2016 school year, collected by the National Center for Education Statistics through the Common Core of Data (CCD) survey system, which was obtained at: Link: https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/pubagency.asp: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. . Thirty percent of the local funding allocations are distributed based on this school-age population data.
Attachment B-This is a Word document. lists the estimated 34.10 percent of the Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2018, and the remaining 65.90 percent of the funds available on October 1, 2018. All of these funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis and are available through June 30, 2019. Because the state cannot expend more than the 34.10 percent of local allocations during the July 1 through September 30, 2018, time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures during this period not to exceed the 34.10 percent allocation.
Reimbursement requests and object code line budgets for Perkins CTE funds must be submitted through the VDOE Single Sign-on for Web Systems (SSWS) portal using the Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) application. All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local plan and budget for school year 2018-2019. Reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than September 30, 2019, and must cover expenditures that were made during school year 2018-2019 (July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019).
Documentation of any reimbursement claims must be retained in the school division and must be available for audit in accordance with state regulations governing the retention of financial records.
If you have any questions, please contact George R. Willcox, Acting Director, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, at CTE@doe.virginia.gov: Email link. or by telephone at (804) 225-2052.