|DATE:||March 30, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Diploma Seal Ordering Process and Diploma Seal Requirements
The purpose of this memo is to transmit the process for ordering diploma seals and to provide the requirements for each Board-established diploma seal. Orders for diploma seals needed for spring and summer 2018 graduation must be placed no later than May 1, 2018 using the attached form.
According to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (Standards of Accreditation) at 8VAC20-131-50: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. , students who meet the requirements for graduation and who demonstrate academic excellence may be eligible for one or more of the following diploma seals:
- The Governor's Seal shall be awarded to students who complete the requirements for an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of "B" or better, and successfully complete college-level coursework that will earn the student at least nine transferable college credits in Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge, or dual enrollment courses.
- The Board of Education Seal shall be awarded to students who complete the requirements for a Standard Diploma or an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of "A."
- The Board of Education's Career and Technical Education Seal shall be awarded to students who earn a Standard Diploma or an Advanced Studies Diploma and complete a prescribed sequence of courses in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that they choose and maintain a "B" or better average in those courses; or: (i) pass an examination or an occupational competency assessment in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that confers certification or occupational competency credential from a recognized industry, trade, or professional association; or (ii) acquire a professional license in that career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Board shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements.
- The Board of Education's Seal of Advanced Mathematics and Technology shall be awarded to students who earn either a Standard Diploma or an Advanced Studies Diploma and: (i) satisfy all of the mathematics requirements for the Advanced Studies Diploma (four units of credit including Algebra II; two verified units of credit) with a "B" average or better; and (ii) either (a) pass an examination in a career and technical education field that confers certification from a recognized industry, trade, or professional association; (b) acquire a professional license in a career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia; or (c) pass an examination approved by the Board that confers college-level credit in a technology or computer science area. The Board shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements.
- The Board of Education's Seal for Excellence in Civics Education shall be awarded to students who earn either a Standard Diploma or an Advanced Studies Diploma and: (i) complete Virginia and United States history and Virginia and United States government courses with a grade of "B" or higher; (ii) have good attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board policies; and (iii) complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities. Activities that satisfy the requirements of clause (iii) of this subdivision include: (a) volunteering for a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick, or less fortunate; (b) participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or similar youth organizations; (c) participating in JROTC; (d) participating in political campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model General Assembly; or (e) participating in school-sponsored extracurricular activities that have a civics focus. Any student who enlists in the United States military prior to graduation shall be deemed to have met this community service requirement.
- The Board of Education's Seal of Biliteracy shall be awarded to students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one other language and meet additional criteria established by the Board. Such seal shall be awarded to eligible students graduating from public high schools in the Commonwealth beginning in 2016. For additional information about this seal, please see: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/graduation/diploma_seals/seal_of_biliteracy/index.shtml.
For additional information regarding the other diploma seals referenced here, please see: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/graduation/diploma_seals/index.shtml
Local school boards determine the design and use of other seals or awards for exceptional academic, career and technical, citizenship, or other exemplary performance in accordance with local school board criteria. The Department of Education, through Bamboo Ink, can only make available the six seals listed above, as outlined in the Standards of Accreditation, and does not have access to any other seals used by local school boards.
Please note: School divisions should order only the seals needed for diplomas awarded during spring and summer 2018. All orders must be placed directly with Bamboo Ink by May 1, 2018. Bamboo Ink will only accept orders from the central office of the school division; orders will not be accepted from individual schools. For the 2017-2018 school year, orders for diploma seals may be e-mailed on the attached form to:
Brooke or Bob Rhodes
email@example.com: Email link.
Please direct additional questions about orders to Misty Kiser at firstname.lastname@example.org: Email link. .
For questions regarding a student’s eligibility for a specific Board-approved seal, please contact the Office of Policy at (804) 225-2092 or email@example.com: Email link. .