|DATE:||November 17, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Nominations for the 2018 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees
The Office of Assessment Development is seeking nominations for the 2018 Standards of Learning (SOL) Item and Test Review Committees. The committee meetings will be held in Richmond, Virginia, according to the attached schedule. Approximately 15 members are needed for each of the 22 committees, and school divisions may nominate one or more representatives for each committee.
Committee members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- in-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- balanced regional representation.
Committee members selected for the 2018 SOL Item and Test Review Committees will be expected to:
- serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety (committee members may not be excused for other meetings or events unless there is a personal emergency; failure to remain for the entirety of a meeting may result in a committee member not being allowed to return to a current meeting or serve in subsequent meetings);
- use technology provided, such as a laptop computer;
- sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- examine test items for equity, bias and sensitivity issues, and stereotyping regarding gender, ethnic, religious, political, age, or socio-economic group;
- examine field test data for potential test items; and
- recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.
Committee members will be provided the following:
- reimbursement for meals and travel expenses in accordance with state travel policy and guidelines;
- incentive of $125 per meeting day for committee members not under contract with a school division at the time of meetings; and
- certificate for recertification points (pending local approval).
All individuals who wish to serve on the 2018 committees, including those who have previously served, must submit an online application through the Assessment Committee Application Processing System (ACAPS). The application will require a professional reference and division approval. The procedure for submitting the online application is available at: https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/acaps/. Completed applications are due to the Virginia Department of Education by February 16, 2018. Committee members may not use membership on a committee or information gained through the review process to write test items, author or co-author textbooks or professional journals, or any such publications related to the Virginia Standards of Learning for personal financial gain or for the financial gain of any organization.
If you have questions, please contact the student assessment staff at Student_Assessment@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 225-2102.
Your continued support of this effort is greatly appreciated.