|DATE:||October 6, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
2017 Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Count of Children who are Neglected or Delinquent (N or D) in School Divisions
Attached are instructions and a report form to be used to complete the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, count of children deemed neglected or delinquent in your school divisions. This annual report provides the U. S. Department of Education (USED) with current information on the location and number of children who live in local institutions for neglected or delinquent children, or who are in local adult correctional facilities. The information will be used by USED to calculate the 2018-2019 allocations for programs that serve neglected children through Title I, Part A, or delinquent children through Title I, Part D. The information collected locally should not include neglected or delinquent children enrolled in state-operated programs (SOP) or the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) institutions.
Attachment A provides information about identifying eligible institutions and children, and instructions for completing the annual report count based on October 2017 caseload data. The count must reflect the following:
- the number of children, ages 5-17, inclusive, who live in:
- local institutions for neglected children as defined in section 1432(4)(A) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended;
- local institutions for delinquent children as defined in section 1432(4)(B) of the ESEA, as amended, or
- local adult correctional institutions as defined in section 1432(1) of the ESEA, as amended; and
- children who resided in an eligible institution for at least one day during a 30 consecutive day period, at least one day of which falls within the month of October 2017.
Attachment B is the annual report that school divisions will return to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The report form may be adapted locally, as needed, to collect data from each eligible school, institution, or program in the school division. However, before returning the report to the VDOE, please aggregate the data from the individual reports. The final report should indicate the total number of neglected or delinquent children and youth for the school division (Section A) and the sources for this total (Section C).
All school divisions must complete Attachment B, even if numbers being reported are zero. Transmit the form and all supporting documents electronically to Gloria Torrens-Billings, Administrative Assistant, at Gloria.Torrens-Billings@doe.virginia.gov on or before Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
All school division Title I, Part D, coordinators are invited to participate in a webinar on Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 10:00 a.m., to learn about the changes to the Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, count documentation. This webinar will be particularly helpful for school divisions that have a local neglected or delinquent facility within the geographic boundaries of the division. Directions to participate in the webinar are provided below.
- At the scheduled time, click on the following link: https://vdoe.adobeconnect.com/nanddoctobercount/
- After connecting to the webinar, follow the directions on the screen to join the audio portion of the conference. You will be prompted to either:
- Enter your phone number and allow the webinar system to call you; or
- Dial the toll-free number of 1-800-832-0736 and enter the Conference Room Number: *9542818 #
If you have questions, please contact Tiffany Frierson, Title I Specialist, at Tiffany.Frierson@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 371-2682.