|DATE:||July 28, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
2016-2017 Annual School Report – Financial Section
(Access to the SSWS Web-based file submission application will begin on or about August 18, 2017)
Attached are the instructions and forms for completing the 2016-2017 Annual School Report Financial Section (ASRFIN). The 2016-2017 ASRFIN must be submitted to the Department of Education by September 15, 2017, as required by Section 22.1-81, Code of Virginia. School divisions and regional programs that wish to file for an extension (until September 30, 2017), for their 2016-2017 ASRFIN per Section 22.1-81, Code of Virginia, must submit a written request signed by the division superintendent, or designee, to Kent C. Dickey, Deputy Superintendent for Finance and Operations, prior to or atleast postmarked by the September 15, 2017, deadline. Please note that email extension requests will not be accepted. Similar to last year’s ASRFIN, school divisions and regional programs must submit the ASRFIN electronically using the Excel reporting template provided. The ASRFIN Excel template and instructions for the 2016-2017 ASRFIN are located on the Department’s website at:
Each school division and regional program will use the Web-based Single Sign-on for Web Systems (SSWS) portal in submitting the 2016-2017 ASRFIN to the Department. School divisions and regional programs may begin submitting their 2016-2017 ASRFIN Excel files through the SSWS portal on or about August 18, 2017. (See the “ASRFIN Excel Template Submission” section of Attachment B for detailed instructions.)
The following attachments to this memorandum provide important information for working with the Excel template and completing the 2016-2017 ASRFIN:
- Attachment A provides a review of changes, clarifications, and highlights of the 2016-2017 ASRFIN;
- Attachment B provides detailed instructions for completing the 2016-2017 ASRFIN, including a description of each section of the Excel template, important reminders, and tips for troubleshooting problems; and
- Attachment C provides the 2016-2017 ASRFIN coding structure and definitions of expenditure functions, cost centers, programs, object codes, and revenue source codes.
The following reports, which provide additional information regarding the revenues included in the 2016-2017 ASRFIN, may be downloaded from the same website noted above:
- Adjusted Locality Ledger Report. Fiscal year 2017 receipts paid by the Department of Education are shown on a cash basis, except sales tax which is paid by the Virginia Department of Accounts and is shown on an accrual basis, and Basic Aid which is shown, where applicable, with the year-end reduction to per pupil Driver Education funding due to noncompliance with the Driver Education requirements in Section 22.1-205 C., Code of Virginia. This report also includes any payments made by the Department of Education on behalf of school divisions for students who are served in state mental health facilities or the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind.
- Sales Tax Revenue Reports:
- One-month accrual basis
- Two-month accrual basis (data available by mid-August – the patch file populating this data will be provided at that time); and
- Basic Aid End-of-Year Adjustments Report.
The Adjusted Locality Ledger Report is an Excel file that provides a listing of all fiscal year 2017 state and federal payments made by the Department of Education to school divisions. It contains actual cash payments made by the Department for all accounts, except sales tax and Basic Aid. Sales tax is shown in the adjusted locality ledger on a one-month accrual basis. The Basic Aid amount shown in the adjusted locality ledger includes the year-end reduction to per pupil Driver Education funding due to noncompliance with the Driver Education requirements in Section 22.1-205 C., Code of Virginia, and includes any payments made by the Department of Education on behalf of school divisions for students who are served in state mental health facilities or the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind.
The revenues that are pre-loaded in the ASRFIN Excel template are based upon the figures shown in the Adjusted Locality Ledger Report. Please use the reports noted in items one through three above plus the cash locality ledger located at https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/EDI_LL_Report/ to reconcile the ASRFIN pre-loaded revenues to your financial records.
Upon completion of the 2016-2017 ASRFIN, please mail a hard copy of the signed division superintendent’s certification report to:
Virginia Department of Education
Attn: Budget Office
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120
Please note that access to the SSWS portal for submission of the 2016-2017 ASRFIN will begin on or about August 18, 2017, and will close on September 30, 2017.
Data collected in the ASRFIN is used to provide financial information on K-12 programs in Virginia to the Governor, General Assembly, the federal government, other policymakers, and the public. The data is also used in developing the Direct Aid to Public Education budget and reporting the percentage of division operational expenditures for instruction on the School Quality Profiles in subsequent fiscal years. If you have any questions about the ASRFIN data collection process, please contact the Budget Office at DOEBUDGETOFFICE@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 225-2025.