History & Social Science
Review of the History & Social Science Standards of Learning (SOL) to be adopted in January 2015.
Public comments are being accepted through November 24, 2014
See History and Social Science SOL Review for details about the process including opportunities for public comment.
Standards of Learning Documents for History & Social Science – Adopted 2008
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the history and social science content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans align instruction with the standards and cover the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the curriculum framework.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments are constructed.
- Released tests and item sets are SOL assessments recently administered in the commonwealth’s public schools.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|All History & Social Science||Word / PDF||NA||NA||
ESS Lesson Plans – align instruction with the 2008 History and Social Science SOL by providing examples of how the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the SOL and curriculum framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
|Kindergarten||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA|
|Grade 1||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA|
|Grade 2||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA|
|Grade 3||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Virginia Studies||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|US History to 1865||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|US History 1865 to Present||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Civics & Economics||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|World History & Geography to 1500||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|World History & Geography 1500-Present||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|World Geography||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Virginia & US History||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Virginia & US Government||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA|
The approved changes to the curriculum framework are indicated with underlines for additions and strikethroughs for deletions.
(All files listed are PDF documents)
- Documents of American History (PDF)
This publication contains the text of The Constitution of Virginia, Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, Declaration of American Independence, Constitution of the United States of America with Amendments, and The Virginia Charters. State law requires that the Documents of American History shall be taught to all students in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Economics and Personal Finance
These objectives for economics education and financial literacy are required of all students at the middle and high school levels to further the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for responsible citizenship in a constitutional democracy.
- Maps of the Five Geographic Regions of Virginia (2001)
- Selected Geographic Regions of North America (2001) (PDF)
Correlates to Standard USI.2b for History and Social Science.
- Virginia Electronic Practice Assessment Tool (ePAT)
The resources here are intended to support and enhance student preparation for the Standards of Learning Assessment. These tutorials provide direct exposure to the format and structure of the questions, and enable users to receive direct feedback for each item.
- VGLA Preparation of Evidence Optional Forms
The forms on this page may be used to assist with the development of a collection of evidence (COE) that is submitted as a Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA) assessment. Print the directions and follow the procedures that have been outlined.
- Standards of Learning Documents for History & Social Science – Adopted 2001
- SOL: 1995
- Blueprints: 2001