English Language Arts Standards of Learning Institutes to be held October – November at six locations in Virginia. For registration information including deadlines for each location, see Superintendent's Memo 140-15.
Standards of Learning Documents for English – Adopted 2010
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the English language arts content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL and VMAST assessments are constructed.
- The Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans align instruction with the standards and cover the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the curriculum framework.
- SOL Practice Items and VMAST Practice Items (based on the 2010 English SOL) provide examples of state assessment items.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards of Learning (SOL) Tests||Virginia Modified
Word | PDF
Updated Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
Online Writing Resources – teaching strategies and lesson plans, video links, SOL progression charts, graphic organizers, and resource links.
English Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2010 and 2002 Standards (PDF) – provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2002 English SOL.
Word | PDF
|Grade 3||Grade 5||NA|
|Grade 4||Grade 4||NA|
|Grade 5||Grade 5||NA|
|Grade 6||Grades 6-8
Word | PDF
|Grade 6||Grade 8||NA|
|Grade 7||Grade 7||NA|
|Grade 8||Grade 8||Grade 8|
|Grade 9||Grades 9-12
Word | PDF
|End of Course (EOC)||End of Course (EOC)||End of Course (EOC)|
English Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- English Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s English Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning (PDF)
Virginia's 2010 English Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) collects, coordinates and conveys a broad range of research and resources in support of an inclusive approach to high quality education for English language learners (ELLs).
- VGLA Preparation of Evidence Optional Forms
The forms on this page may be used to assist with the development of a collection of evidence (COE) that is submitted as a Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA) assessment. Print the directions and follow the procedures that have been outlined.
- English Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2002.
- All English (Word) | (PDF)
- Kindergarten (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 1 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 2 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 4 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 5 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 6 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 7 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 8 (Word) | (PDF)
- 9-12 English (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Reading and Writing)
- Grade 5: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 5: Writing
- Grade 8: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 8: Writing
- EOC: Reading/Literature and Research (Grade 9-12)
- EOC: Writing (Grade 9-12)
English Instructional Resources aligned to 2002 English SOL
- Elementary School Resources
- Middle School Resources
- High School Resources
- English as a Second Language