Participation & Inclusion
All students in tested grade levels and courses are expected to participate in Virginia’s assessment program, unless specifically exempted by state or federal law or by Board of Education regulations. Virginia’s assessment system includes students with disabilities and limited English proficient (LEP) students. Students with disabilities and LEP students may take Standards of Learning tests with or without accommodations or they may be assessed through alternate or alternative assessments. The tests that comprise the Virginia Assessment Program are offered in English only; administration of the tests in other languages is not permitted.
VDOE offers the following guidance regarding the assessment of students with disabilities and/or limited English proficiency:
- Procedures for Participation of Students with Disabilities in Virginia's Accountability System (PDF) – Guidelines for providing accommodations and documentation.
- Special Assessment Accommodation Request Form (Word) – A form to be used by division directors of testing to request special assessment accommodations that individual students with disabilities may require to access the SOL assessments.
- Limited English Proficient Students: Guidelines for Participation in the Virginia State Assessment Program (PDF) – Updated February 5, 2014
- Guidelines for Administering the Read-Aloud Accommodation for Standards of Learning Assessments (PDF)
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Math Aids – Accommodation Code 19 (PDF)
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Assistive Technology Accommodations (PDF)