Alternative & Alternate Assessments
The Virginia schools administer alternative and alternate assessments to measure the achievement and progress of students with special needs. These assessments include the:
- Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP)
- Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA)
- Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program (VSEP)
- Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST)
- Administrators' Update Workshop 2014-2015 (PPT)
- Virginia Alternative and Alternate Assessments Administrator's Manual 2014-2015 (PDF)
- Developing Monitoring and Pre-Scoring Plans for Alternate/Alternative Assessments (PPT)
- Authorization to Proceed (ATP) for VAAP, VGLA & VSEP (PDF)
Dynamic Learning Maps Professional Development Activities
Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) provide online alternate assessments in reading, writing, and mathematics for students with significant cognitive disabilities. The Virginia Department of Education has developed a plan of professional development activities (referenced in Superintendent’s Memo 218-14) for 2014-2015 to familiarize teachers with all aspects of the DLM system and assessments. Professional development activity resources are provided below.
- Professional Development Activities-Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) (Word) – This resource contains the form necessary to document the completion of the professional development activities.
- Sample Parent Letter (Word)
- Sample Parent Consent Form (Word)
- DLM Essential Elements (EE)/Aligned Standards of Learning (ASOL) Available for DLM Testing are found in the table below:
The items in the table below are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Essential Elements (EE)/Aligned Standards of Learning (ASOL)
Available for DLM Testing
Reading Mathematics Grade 3 Grade 3 Grade 4 Grade 4 Grade 5 Grade 5 Grade 6 Grade 6 Grade 7 Grade 7 Grade 8 Grade 8 High School High School
DLM materials needed to complete the professional development activities are available in the Educator Portal . A user account must be created by the DLM Data Steward in the local school division. Contact the local Division Director of Testing or Special Education Director for information on Educator Portal user accounts.