Child Abuse Recognition & Intervention Training
Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition and Intervention Training for Initial Licensure and License Renewal
All individuals seeking initial licensure – as well as license renewal – are required to complete a child abuse recognition and intervention course that meets Board of Education approved guidelines. Verification of training completion is noted on individual licenses and also sent to school division human resources directors and school division licensure specialists. School divisions may design their own training or utilize other training opportunities to fulfill this requirement.
Several providers have shared instructional opportunities to fulfill this requirement with the Department of Education.
- Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting, and Responding for Educators – This online course is provided by the Virginia Department of Social Services training division.
- Individuals must select the “Required Training/Courses” tab under the heading “Child Protective Services.”
- Then select the “Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting, & Responding (for educators) (Web page).”
- Virginia Department of Social Services – DSS provides additional resources and information on child abuse and neglect workshops within the community.
- Childhelp USA – This organization provides in-service training for teachers in Northern Virginia for a fee.