Technology in Education
Survey to Determine School Division Interest in Leasing Technology Equipment – VDOE is conducting a survey to assess the interest of school divisions to lease technology equipment with funds generated from notes issued by the Virginia Public School Authority instead of purchasing the equipment. The deadline for completing the survey is September 1, 2015. For more information, see Superintendent's Memo 175-15.
e-Learning Backpack Initiative – grants to purchase laptop and tablet computers are available to qualifying schools – those with a ninth grade and are not fully accredited.
Virginia is consistently recognized as a national leader in the use of technology to expand student opportunities. Educational technology is an important tool in instruction, student learning and student asssements.
Digital Learning & Innovations
VDOE promotes, fosters and develops strategies, solutions and policies that support innovation in digital learning, student achievement and school and community partnerships by:
- Assisting in shaping legislation, regulations, and policies to encourage and support educational innovations
- Identifying policies and procedures that impact or impede digital or e-learning innovation
- Overseeing implementation of Virtual Virginia and developing strategies for expanding the digital learning opportunities available to public school students
- Facilitating the design, development, and evaluation of innovative, technology-enhanced products and approaches that could be scaled in the future
- Maintaining strategic partnerships with public, private, and nonprofit collaborators to accomplish the Commonwealth’s education priorities
- Providing assistance to ensure that intellectual property generated through these or other agency activities are properly managed
Planning, Standards & Integration
To maximize the effective use of technology to improve instruction and student learning in the commonwealth, VDOE provides the following:
- Computer/Technology Standards of Learning
- Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel
- Educational Technology Plan for Virginia
- Technical assistance and guidance to schools for the integration of technology into instruction
- Information on best practices in technology integration and emerging educational technologies
- Support to school divisions in the development of local technology plans, acceptable use policies and Internet safety plans
- Management of federal and state technology grant programs
- Assistance to schools in planning and implementing network solutions and developing infrastructure standards
- High-quality professional development opportunities for educators
- Support for virtual learning options in Virginia
Explore...Virginia's Technology Initiatives
VDOE promotes the use of current and emerging technologies through initiatives and partnerships that expand opportunities for learning beyond the boundaries of the school and classroom. More about Technology Initiatives.