Title I AMO Schools – Improvement Plan Required
Virginia, under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) flexibility waiver granted on June 29, 2012, has established annual measurable objectives (AMOs) designed to reduce proficiency gaps between high- and low-performing schools within six years.
Per the provisions of the ESEA flexibility waiver, schools that do not meet the AMOs for subgroups must develop and implement improvement plans.
The flexibility waiver provisions specify different requirements for Title I and non-Title I schools with subgroups not meeting AMOs. Below is information about the requirements and support that will be provided by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for Title I schools (neither focus nor priority).
- Title I schools with subgroups not meeting AMOs must create a school improvement plan using Indistar that includes indicators selected by the school improvement team.
- VDOE’s Office of School Improvement (OSI) provides a series of recorded training sessions to assist schools required to use the Indistar planning tool to create a school improvement plan.
- Indistar is a web-based tool for assessing, planning, implementing, and monitoring progress toward achieving rapid improvement school indicators. It was developed by the Center on Innovations in Learning with funding by the U.S. Department of Education and is used in at least 25 states.
- It is the responsibility of the school division to monitor school improvement plans in Indistar. A division staff person must be assigned to the school leadership team.
- Schools, including those with existing school improvement plans, must create an Indistar plan. Highly recommended components of the plan include:
- An identification process (including ongoing conversations with instructional leadership teams and data points to be used) for all students at risk of failing or in need of targeted interventions;
- A tiered, differentiated intervention process to assign research-based interventions aligned with the individual needs of identified students (the process includes a description of how interventions are selected and assigned to students as well as the frequency and duration of interventions for Tier 2 and Tier 3 students);
- A monitoring process (including a multidisciplinary team that meets regularly to review student intervention outcome data and identifies “triggers” and next steps for unsuccessful interventions) for targeted intervention students to ensure fidelity and effectiveness.
- Records agendas and minutes of school leadership team meetings.
- Title I high schools that do not meet the federal graduation indicator rate are required by the federal flexibility waiver provisions to use the Virginia Early Warning System (VEWS) to plan, monitor, and implement a plan for improvement.
- Title I requirements specify that parents must be notified of the school’s identification as a Title I school that has missed one or more annual measurable objectives.
- All components of the plan, including minutes and agendas of school leadership team meetings, are subject to the Freedom of Information Act and should not contain names of individual studentsor staff, or data that can be used to identify individuals.
- Checklist for Title I Schools Required to Create a School Improvement Plan (Neither Focus nor Priority) – Schools With No Existing Indistar Plan 2015-2016 (Word)
- Checklist for Title I Schools Required to Create a School Improvement Plan (Neither Focus nor Priority) – Schools With An Existing Indistar Plan 2015-2016 (Word)
- High-Yield School Indicators (Word)
- Recorded video resources on requirements for Title I AMO Schools and the division staff people assigned to them:
- Requirements – Title I Improvement Plan Required Schools (Neither Focus Nor Priority) – With Existing School Plans
- Requirements – Title I Improvement Plan Required Schools (Neither Focus Nor Priority) – Without Existing School Plans
- Coaching Comments and Required Division-Level Coach Monitoring Report – Update: You may now access the Division-Level Coach Monitoring Report while registered in Indistar as either a school coach or a division liaison. This is a change from information provided on the recording.
- Recorded video training sessions on the use of Indistar include the series Using The Indistar Web-Based Planning Tool To Support School Improvement
- Frequently Asked Questions About Title I Schools (Neither Focus Nor Priority) Required to Create a School Improvement Plan (Word) – Updated September 2015