School Counseling & Guidance
New Computer Science Guidelines – January 2015, the Virginia Board of Education approved Guidelines for the Use of Computer Science Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements (PDF). For more information, see Superintendent's Memo 022-15.
Workforce development professionals are encouraged to attend the 2015 Hire Education Conference December 9-11. The early bird registration fee of $135 is open until Friday, September 25.
School counseling programs support the Standards of Learning by providing guidance to students in their academic, career, and personal and social development. School counselors collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators and others to promote learning and help students establish and achieve their education, career, and personal goals. School counselors provide leadership to ensure that students benefit from effective strategies and services aligned with the Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools. The standards are organized by grade level under the following goals:
- Academic Development – Students will acquire the academic preparation essential to choose from a variety of educational, training, and employment options upon completion of secondary school.
- Career Development – Students will investigate the world of work in order to make informed career decisions.
- Personal/Social Development – Students will acquire an understanding of, and respect for, self and others, and the skills to be responsible citizens.
- Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools (K-12) (PDF)
- Regulations Regarding School Guidance and Counseling Services in the Public Schools of Virginia
- Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Counselors preK-12
- Virginia Graduation Requirements
- Academic and Career Plan
- Standards of Accreditation
- Graduation (Diploma) Seals of Achievement
- Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for the Standard, Standard Technical, Advanced Studies, Advanced Technical, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools (Effective with Ninth-Grade Class of 2010-2011) (PDF)
- Secondary School Transcript Regulations (PDF)
- Sample Secondary School Transcript Template (Word)
- Student Records
- Virginia Wizard
- Virginia Career View
- Career & Technical Education
- Virginia Scholarships
- State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV)
- Virginia’s College Guide for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- R U "College and Career" Ready? Elevate your learning (PDF)
- Career Planning Guide
- Prevention Strategies and Programs
- Student and Family Services
- Student Conduct and Discipline
- Safety and Crisis Management
- Comprehensive Services Act for At-Risk Youth and Families
- Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)
- Virginia Counselors Association
- Virginia School Counselor Association
- Virginia Alliance for School Counseling (VASC)
- American School Counselor Association
- American Counseling Association
- Virginia Career Development Association