Educational Technology Notes
Proceeds from five-year Educational Technology Notes issued by the Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA) are distributed to school divisions and regional programs to improve the instructional, remedial, and testing capabilities of the SOL in local school divisions and to increase the number of schools achieving full accreditation. Proceeds of the Series XIV notes are provided to:
- Establish a computer-based instructional and testing system for the SOL;
- Develop the capability for high speed Internet connectivity at high schools followed by middle schools and then in elementary schools; and
- Establish a 5-to-1 student computer ratio for high schools followed by middle schools and then in elementary schools.
Series X grants to school divisions are based on $26,000 per eligible school and $50,000 per school division. Eligible schools include those reporting fall membership as of September 30, 2010 as well as regional vocational, special education, and alternative education centers, academic year Governor’s Schools, and the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind in Staunton. Schools that serve only pre-kindergarten students are not eligible for this grant.
Series XI through XIII included supplemental grants of $26,000 that were provided to support schools that were not fully accredited.
The Virginia e-Learning Backpack Grants begin with the Series XIV issuance. These grants are provided for schools that administered SOL tests in Spring, 2013, and were not fully accredited based on school accreditation ratings in effect for fiscal year 2014. Those qualifying schools receive: (1) a supplemental grant of $400 per student reported in ninth grade fall membership in a qualifying school for the purchase of a tablet computer device for that student and (2) a supplemental grant of $2,400 per qualifying school to purchase two content creation packages for teachers. For more information, please see Superintendent’s Memo #136-14.
- Series XIV – Spring 2014 (PDF) Revised May 29, 2014
- Series XIII – Spring 2013 (PDF)
- Series XII – Spring 2012 (PDF)
- Series XI – Spring 2011 (PDF)
- Series X – Spring 2010 (PDF)
Payments to school divisions and regional centers are on a reimbursement basis only. School divisions and regional centers must first complete payments for the qualifying equipment purchased and then file a reimbursement request with VDOE, using the forms below. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo #136-14.
- Series XIV – Spring 2014 (XLS)
- Series XIII – Spring 2013 (XLS)
- Series XII – Spring 2012 (XLS)
- Series XI – Spring 2011 (XLS)
- Series X – Spring 2010 (XLS) – Deadline for final reimbursements is April 1, 2015
Sample Reimbursement Resolution (PDF) – For use by school boards and boards of eligible regional programs
Supplemental Grant Application Forms for Eligible Schools
Series XI through Series XIII included supplemental grants of $26,000 are provided to support schools that are not fully accredited. For additional information on the schools that qualify to receive these grants see Superintendent’s Memo #146-13.
- Supplemental Grant Series XIII – Spring 2013 (Word) – Updated May 24, 2013
- e-Learning Backpack Initiative – tablet computers for students – schools with a ninth grade that administer Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and are not fully accredited are qualified to participate in the Virginia e-Learning Backpack Initiative supplemental grant for fiscal year 2014. Funds from the grant are available to purchase tablet computers for students and content creation packages for teacher use in schools.
Withdrawal Instructions Form
School divisions and regional programs provide bank routing numbers and account numbers directly to the State Non-Arbitrage Program (SNAP) before SNAP executes the actual payment of proceeds from Educational Technology Notes to the school division or regional program.
- SNAP VPSA Technology Notes Withdrawal Instructions Form (PDF) – Use this form to make changes to wire instructions previously submitted to SNAP prior to requesting any further reimbursements.