Includes Curriculum Frameworks
Possible course options to satisfy the Economics and Personal Finance graduation requirement include the following:
- Economics and Personal Finance (BUS6120), 36 weeks (formerly named Finance) – competencies and framework are currently available; an Economics and Personal Finance framework has also been developed by History and Social Science for 6120
- Semester options:
- Finance 6121, 18 weeks – currently available – AND
- Economics, 18 weeks – History and Social Science 2801 with expanded endorsements
- Other courses that are aligned with the Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
Other Course Options
To meet the graduation requirement to complete an economics and personal finance course, an online course is available to all Virginia public schools through VDOE’s Virtual Virginia. The course, aligned to the Economics and Personal Finance SOL and developed with the support of the Virginia Bankers Association Education Foundation and the Virginia 529 College Savings Plan, includes cartoons, interactive graphics, simulations using characters in economic situations and assessments.
The course is available at no cost to all Virginia public schools. Divisions offering this as an online or blended course must have a compatible learning management system. To use this course, in part or whole, a license agreement must be signed prior to receiving access to the course files. If a third party supplies the learning management system for the division, the third party must sign the Contractor’s Agreement.
Signed forms must be returned before course files can be accessed. Forms should be mailed to Rebecca Hawthorne, Virginia Department of Education, Post Office Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120.
- Economics and Personal Finance Online Course Overview and Specifications (PPT)
- Limited License Agreement for Use of the Virginia Department of Education’s Economics and Personal Finance Course (PDF) – includes Contractor's Agreement
- Economics and Personal Finance Course License Agreement – Superintendent’s Memo #068-12
- Economics and Personal Finance Online Course Hosting – Superintendent's Memo #136-12
- Economics and Personal Finance iBooks Textbooks PDF Version Authorization for Virginia Public School Divisions (PDF)
- Economics and Personal Finance iBooks Textbooks PDF Version Authorization for All Others (PDF)
If you have questions, please contact Rebecca Hawthorne at 804-225-3489 or Rebecca.Hawthorne@doe.virginia.gov.
Course for Students of the Standard Diploma via Credit Accommodations or the Modified Standard Diploma
For eligible students seeking the Standard Diploma via credit accommodations, the personal living and finance course, augmented to include the 21 Work Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth, satisfies the requirement for the Economics and Personal Finance course if the student has earned at least 3 standard credits in history and social science.
- Objectives for Personal Living and Finance (PDF) – approved in 1999 and revised in 2002, 2006 and 2015
For students seeking the Modified Standard Diploma, the Board of Education has approved a personal living and finance course to meet a mathematics requirement. For the purpose of satisfying the requirement, a locally developed personal living and finance course may be based on either:
- Objectives for Personal Living and Finance (PDF) –approved in 1999 and revised in 2002, 2006 and 2015
- Economics Education and Financial Literacy: Objectives and Correlations to:
- Mathematics (SOL)
- History and Social Science (SOL)
- Career and Technical Education (Competencies)