Trade & Industrial Education
Governor’s STEM Academy at Burton Center for Arts & Technology: Motorsports Engine Building Team Students are National Champions! Congratulations to the Burton Motorsports team that won first place in the Hot Rodders of Tomorrow Engine Challenge in Indianapolis.
Nominations for 2015-2016 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees – School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 2015-2016 curriculum review committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each of the 39 committees. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 127-15.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Construction Standards and Construction Train-the-Trainer Courses – For those trade and industrial instructors and other related CTE educators who require initial OSHA certification or recertification, both courses will be offered in Roanoke in conjunction with the Virginia Association of Trade and Industrial Educators Summer Conference, July 25-28, 2015. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 122-15.
Cooperative Education Training – A professional development workshop for teachers who are first-time and experienced cooperative education coordinators is scheduled for June 30-July 1, 2015, in Richmond. For details and pre-registration form, see Superintendent’s Memo 020-15. Also see Work-Based Learning.
Trade and Industrial Education covers a variety of specialized areas including robotic workcell technology; transportation, distribution, and logistics such as automotive technology, motorsports, and aviation; computer networking technology hardware operations; building trades; commercial photography and graphic imaging; radio and TV communications; criminal justice; and public safety including fire fighting.
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2014-2015 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Global Logistics and Enterprise Systems (8419, 8422)
- Plumbing (8551, 8552, 8553)
- Precision Machining Technology (8539, 8540 ,8541)
- HVACR (8503, 8504, 8505)
- Computer Systems Technology (8622, 8623, 8624)
- Telecommunication (8650, 8651)
- Criminal Justice (8702, 8703, 8704)
- Public Safety (8700, 8701)
- Plumbing (8551, 8552, 8553)
- Robotic Workcell Technology (8557, 8558 ,8559
- Essential Competency List for Trade and Industrial Education (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Administrative Planning Guide for Trade and Industrial Education
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide – See Equipment for CTE Programs
- High School Based Firefighter I and II Education Program Guidelines (PDF)
PLAY VIDEO #1
These courses are part of the Construction Pathway in the Architecture & Construction Career Cluster.
PLAY VIDEO #2
These courses are part of the Emergency and Fire Management Services and Law Enforcement Services Pathways in the Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security Career Cluster.
PLAY VIDEO #3
These courses are part of the Transportation Operations Pathway in the Transportation, Distribution & Logistics Career Cluster.
SkillsUSA- Champions at Work
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
A partnership of students, teachers, and industry working together to ensure Virginia and America have a skilled work force. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements – Trade and Industrial Education (PDF) – See 8VAC20-22-290 on page 39 of the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel document.
- Career Planning Guide (PDF)
- Virginia Association of Trade and Industrial Educators (VATIE)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)