Microsoft IT Academy Program
Classroom and online learning, hands-on labs and access to hundreds of courses, books and cutting-edge resources are available for Microsoft IT Academy-participating high schools. These resources help prepare students for Microsoft certification that can help them earn college credits and enhance their resume with credentials recognized by employers around the world.
Funding is available that allows interested high schools and CTE regional centers to participate in a Microsoft Information Technology (IT) Academy partnership to include site licenses for certification testing at no cost to school divisions. Certification examinations are available to students for Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and Certiprep practice exams for all of the MOS applications. A limited number of exam vouchers for Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certifications will be available to all schools/centers, but distributed as needed. See Superintendent’s Memo 269-14 for additional information.
Using “Teach It, Test It”, teachers certify students at the completion of each application unit while the material is fresh on their minds, which will lead to the highest score possible. Higher test scores are advantageous as a confidence builder for students and an opportunity for the teacher to challenge students to pursue a MOS Master certification. More than a single certification, the MOS Master certification demonstrates an overall comprehension and deep expertise in Microsoft Office programs. It requires passing four exams: Word Expert, Excel Expert, PowerPoint, and either Access, Outlook, SharePoint, or OneNote for the fourth exam. With the flexibility of the Microsoft IT Academy curriculum, students can self-study applications and accumulate multiple certifications.
|Virginia Shows Early Increase in Microsoft Certifications Earned
Year-Over-Year Comparison – and We’ve Only Just Begun!
Advantages for Students
The Microsoft IT Academy concept was developed to bridge the gap between education and the real-world by providing students with the IT skills they’ll need for college and a career in today’s technology-centered job market.
Advantages for Teachers
Through Microsoft IT Academy, teachers have access to professional development resources for success in the classroom, as well as curriculum for technology courses and student learning tools.
- Virginia’s Priority Courses Mapped to Microsoft IT Academy Resources (PDF)
- Microsoft IT Academy Newsletter
- CTE Newsletter
- Custom Certification Site for Virginia
- Microsoft IT Academy Member Website
- Virginia Microsoft IT Academy Share Site
How to Get Started with the IT Academy Program
(All files are Word documents)
- Quick Start Guide Member Site
- Quick Start Guide Online Learning
- Quick Start Guide Teacher Starter Kits
- Microsoft IT Academy: Virtual Training Recordings and Descriptions
- Microsoft IT Academy Director Checklist
- Microsoft IT Academy Quick Start Guide to Microsoft IT Academy Digital Literacy
- Quick Start Guide E-Learning
- Quick Start Guide – MOAC (Microsoft Official Academic Course)
- MOS and MTA Exams Mapped to Career Clusters (PPT)
- MOS Exams Mapped to Key Job Roles (PDF)
- Microsoft IT Career Poster (PDF)
- Microsoft IT Academy Datasheet – Building the Workforce of Tomorrow, Today (PDF)
- Certification Datasheet - Optimize Program Effectiveness (PDF)
- Certification Roadmap Poster (PDF)
- Certification Website
- Student Flyer – Create Your Future (PDF)
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certification Student Flyer (Word)
- Microsoft IT Academy: Virtual Training Recordings and Descriptions (Word)
- Digital Literacy and Free Microsoft Education Resources (PDF)
- Certification Q&A (PDF)
- Skills Requirements for Tomorrow's Best Jobs: Helping Educators Provide Students with Skills and Tools They Need (PDF)
Where are the Microsoft IT Academy participating high schools/centers in Virginia? The map illustrates the location of the 376 Virginia high schools/centers offering a Microsoft IT Academy and certification testing center.