CTE New Teacher Institute – In collaboration with the University of Virginia, the CTE New Teacher Institute will be offered from July 11-15, 2016, at the Hotel Richmond Airport, 5501 Eubank Road, Richmond, Virginia. The Institute is designed specifically for CTE teachers who are transitioning directly from business and industry to the classroom. The Institute will be conducted by the University of Virginia and upon successful completion, participants will receive three hours of graduate credit for the course, PSED 6503-Effective Teaching Strategies. In addition, the Institute will satisfy the Curriculum and Instructional Procedures professional studies requirement for teacher licensure. Registration deadline is June 10, 2016. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo #092-16.
Newly Designed Professional Development, “Experience Works - Engaging Business and Educators” – The Experience Works professional development opportunity will be held June 28-29, 2016, at the Holiday Inn I-64 Westend, 2000 Staples Mill Road in Richmond, Virginia 23230. The targeted audience includes Work-Based Learning (WBL) instructors and coordinators, CTE administrators, school counselors, and career coaches. Submit online registration by May 13, 2016. Currently, nominations (PDF) are being accepted for “best practices” presenters for Work-Based Learning methods. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 081-16.
Marketing programs prepare students for postsecondary education and careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, management and entrepreneurship. Instruction in the Marketing, Hospitality & Tourism, Business Management & Administration, and Arts, A/V Technology & Communications, career clusters enable students to gain knowledge and skills in:
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2015-2016 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Marketing Management (8132)
- Fashion Marketing (8140)
- Fashion Marketing, Advanced (8145)
- Travel and Tourism (8165) will be eliminated
- Hotel Marketing (8160) will be eliminated
- Opportunities in Travel and Tourism (8139) will replace Travel and Tourism (8165) and Hotel Marketing (8160)
- Marketing Course Listing
- Essential Competency List for Marketing – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Marketing
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia DECA Organization
Prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- 2015-2016 Reference Sheet (PDF)
- 2015-2016 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements – Marketing Education
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Association of Marketing Educators (VAME)
- Virginia DECA Foundation
- Marketing Education Association (MEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)