Health & Medical Sciences
Revised Regulations for Nurse Aide Programs, Effective 2015-2016 School Year – The Virginia Board of Nursing recently released revised guidance documents for the Nurse Aide education programs in accordance with the Administrative Code 18 VAC90-26-30.(B)(D) and 18 VAC90-26-30.(C)(D), Requirements for Instructional Personnel. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 221-15.
2015-2016 Special Grants for Survey Fee Required for Practical Nursing – A grant is available for practical nursing programs that are scheduled for survey visits by the Virginia Board of Nursing during the 2015-2016 school year. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 058-15.
- introduce secondary students to nursing, medical, dental, and other health occupations
- prepare students with basic skills for employment in nursing homes, clinics, medical and dental offices, hospitals, homes, and certain public health settings
- facilitate entry into advanced health occupations programs that require post-high school education leading to state licensure, certification, registration, or national credentialing
- enable students to become more knowledgeable consumers of health services.
The occupational preparation programs prepare students for entry-level positions in a particular health field or for advanced training in health occupations at the technical and professional levels.
- nursing – certified nurse's aide or licensed practical nurse
- medical – medical assistant, emergency medical technician or surgical technologist
- dental – dental assistant
- other health occupations – physical or occupational therapy aide, respiratory therapy assistant, rehabilitation aide, dietary aide, laboratory aide, geriatric aide, home health aide, housekeeping aide, sterile supply aide, transportation aide or veterinary assistant.
Local school divisions determine the structure of Health and Medical Sciences courses. Programs may be offered in two- or three-hour blocks or in a one-hour block the first year and a two-hour block the second year.
Virginia Board of Nursing Regulations
- Nurse Aide Education Program - Instructional Personnel Form (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Skills Record (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Curriculum (Word)
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2015-2016 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Patient Care Technician (New course)
- Pharmacy Technician I, II (8305, 8306)
- Physical/Occupational Therapy II (8366)
- Nurse Aide I, II (8360, 8362)
- Home Health Aide (8364)
- Medical Terminology (8383)
- Health and Medical Sciences
- Exploratory (8370)
- Emergency Medical Responder (8336)
- Emergency Medical Telecommunications (8337)
- Essential Competency List for Health & Medical Sciences (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide – See Equipment for CTE Programs
- Governor’s Health Sciences Academies
- Project Lead the Way
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Promotes career opportunities in the health care industry to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
EMT Guidelines – The High School Based Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Educational Program Guidelines (PDF) are based on the revised state and national standards for EMT programs and serves as a guide to school divisions for implementing the revised EMT programs standards consistently in all high schools and technical centers statewide. The guidelines are presented by VDOE in collaboration with the Virginia Department of Health. Also see Superintendent’s Memo #165-14.
- 2015-2016 Reference Sheet (PDF)
- 2015-2016 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Heath and Medical Sciences Update, April 2014 (PPT)
- Health and Medical Sciences Licensure Endorsement Requirements
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Health Regulatory Boards:
- Board of Dentistry
- Board of Health Professions
- Virginia Board of Medicine
- Board of Nursing
- Board of Pharmacy
- Board of Physical Therapy
- Board of Veterinary Medicine
- Virginia Health and Medical Sciences Educators Association (VAHMASEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)