Family & Consumer Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences programs facilitate student progress toward a set of unifying goals in the areas of academic achievement, cultural and environmental issues, health and safety, individual and family relations, leadership and workplace ethics, and application of technology.
Family and Consumer Sciences provide opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed for:
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Balancing personal, home, family and work lives.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse families, communities, and work environments.
- Exemplifying successful life management, employment, and career development.
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life.
- Reference Sheet (PDF)
- Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Essential Competency List for Family and Consumer Sciences (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Equipment Resource Guide for Family and Consumer Sciences education – see Equipment for CTE Programs
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements (PDF) – See page 35 8VAC20-22-240. Career and technical education – family and consumer sciences
- Industry Credentialing
- Career Planning Guide
- Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Educators – Colleges and Universities (PDF)
The following courses were revised and are available for implementation during the 2013 - 2014 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO.
- Early Childhood, Education, and Services I, II (8285, 8286)
- Family and Human Services I, II (8264, 8265)
- Nutrition and Wellness (8228, 8229)
- Future Educators Association (FEA)
- American Culinary Federation (ACF)
- Virginia Association for Early Childhood Education (VAECE)
- National Education Association for the Education of the Young Children (NAEYC)
- Virginia Association for Family and Consumer Science (VAFCS)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of Family and Consumer Sciences (VATFACS)
- National Association of Teachers of Family and Consumer Sciences (NATFACS)
- Virginia Association of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education Association (FCSEA)
- American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- The Foodservice Educators Network International (FENI)
- The Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association (VHTA)