Cooperative Education Workshop – Training for teachers who are serving as cooperative education coordinators for the first time or coordinators who need updated instruction are eligible to attend a cooperative education training session scheduled for July 8-9, 2014, in Richmond. For more detail and registration form, see CTE Director Memo 064-14 (PDF).
Courses using the cooperative education method integrate classroom instruction with supervised on-the-job training and the related career and technical student organization.
Instruction is developed and conducted in consultation with employers having skills and considerable knowledge of the occupational field represented by the student's career objective. Individualized, written training plans are developed to correlate the classroom instructions with the on-the-job training. Formal and informal evaluations of student progress including feedback are completed to assist learners in improving their work performance.
Cooperative Education is a method of instruction that combines career and technical classroom instruction with paid employment directly related to the classroom instruction. Both student instruction and employment are planned and supervised by the school and the employer so that each contributes to the student's career objectives and employability. Students enhance their knowledge, skills, and attitudes by participating in supervised experiences that are not easily replicated in an educational setting.
Cooperative Education Program Administration
Handbook & Guidelines
- Cooperative Education Handbook – Revised July 2007 (PDF) – The handbook includes Virginia regulations and guidelines for the administration of cooperative education and training materials for teacher-coordinators. It also includes sample forms for teacher-coordinators to use to operate the cooperative education method of instruction out of approved CTE courses. Handbook forms (Word) – a separate listing of the forms provided in the handbook.
- Cooperative Education Guidelines for Administrators - Revised July 2007 (PDF)
- CTE Cooperative Education Presentation (PPT) – The minimum requirements for supervising students on the job.
- Student Training Agreement (Word) – This is a required, formal document signed by the teacher-coordinator, school administrator, employer, parent and student that states the policies affecting the cooperative education student. School divisions that develop local forms must include all asterisked (*) items to be in compliance with the Virginia Department of Labor and all parties listed above.
- Training Plan form (Word) – This is a required, formal document that identifies classroom and on-the-job instruction, which contributes to the employability of a cooperative education student. The form must be developed individually for each student.
- Training Plan form for Business (Word) – A training plan is a required, formal document that identifies classroom and on-the-job instruction that contributes to the employability of a cooperative education student. The form must be developed individually for each student. To assist COE coordinators, this form has identified many of the tasks/duties required of office employees in COE positions. To individualize the form, coordinators place a check by the tasks that the student will perform on the job. If only a few of the tasks apply, the coordinator should go to the Career and Technical Education website and use the blank form to develop the plan.
- Cooperative Education Brochure
- Additional Cooperative Education Resources on the CTE Resource Center website
- Administrative Code and Code of Virginia – Child Labor Laws (PDF)
- Virginia Labor and Employment Law
- Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the Child Labor Law
- Federal Labor and Employment Law for Youth
- Update of Child Labor Regulations for the 21st Century