Nominations for the 2014-2015 CTE curriculum review committees will be accepted through August 25, 2014. School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 37 committees. All nominees who wish to participate must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). See Superintendent’s Memo 173-14.
Agricultural Education includes programs of study designed to prepare students for occupations in horticulture, agricultural business, natural resources management, agricultural machinery and production agriculture.
Agricultural Education stresses the development of skills in all aspects of agricultural businesses and industries, including planning, management, safety, finances and leadership.
Through participation in the FFA students have opportunities to apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom.
NEW: A Strategic Review of Agriculture Education: Preparing Students for Successful Transition to College and Careers (PDF). This report represents a culmination of state and national research and extensive input from stakeholders representing business and industry, secondary and postsecondary education, parents, students, professional organizations, and policy makers. It provides recommendations for preparing students for success in the many agriculture-related careers that exist now and in the future which are critical to the economic vitality of the commonwealth.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- 2013-2014 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Essential Competency List for Agricultural Education (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Equipment Resource Guide for Agricultural Education – see Equipment for CTE Programs
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements for Agricultural Education (PDF) – See 8VAC20-22-220 on pages 29-30 of the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel document.
- Virginia FFA
- National FFA
- Virginia Tech Department of Agricultural and Extension Education
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program Resources
These courses are part of the Environmental Service Systems and Plant Systems Pathways in the Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster.