Board Meeting Agenda – June 26, 2014Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, June 26, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 22, 2014, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition Presented to the Recipient of the 2013 Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award: Elizabeth Galinis, science teacher, Hayfield Secondary School, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposal to Establish the Bedford County Public Schools Governor’s Health Sciences Academy
- Final Review of Corrective Action Plan Required by the Division-Level Review for Franklin City Public Schools
- Final Review of Amendments to the Regulations Governing Nutritional Guidelines for Competitive Foods Available for Sale in the Public Schools (Re-Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Lynchburg College through a Process Approved by the Board of Education
- Final Review of Guidelines and a Model Waiver Form for High School to Work Partnerships
- Report of the Adult Education and Literacy Advisory Committee to the Virginia Board of Education on the 2014 General Educational Development (GED) Testing Program
- Report from the Assessment and Accountability Roundtable on Guidelines for Local Assessments in Response to House Bill 930/Senate Bill 306
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Executive Session (Closed Session)
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m. at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel on Wednesday, June 25, 2014. Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.