Standards of Accreditation
Revised Standards of Accreditation for 2015-2016
The Board of Education has revised the Standards of Accreditation – effective with school ratings for 2015-2016 – to differentiate schools that are close to meeting the requirements for full accreditation, or that are making significant progress, from those that are not. See School Accreditation Ratings for more information.
Virginia Board of Education Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia are designed to ensure that an effective educational program is established and maintained in Virginia's public schools. The accreditation standards:
- Provide an essential foundation of educational programs of high quality in all schools for all students.
- Encourage continuous appraisal and improvement of the school program for the purpose of raising student achievement.
- Foster public confidence.
- Assure recognition of Virginia's public schools by other institutions of learning.
- Establish a means of determining the effectiveness of schools.
Standards For Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
Overview of Changes to the Standards of Accreditation in Recent Years
- Guidance for the Determination of the New Accreditation Rating: “Partially Accredited” (PDF)
- Guidelines for Graduation Requirements: Local Alternative Paths to Standard Units of Credit (Alternatives to the 140- Clock-hour Requirement) – For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 271-15
- Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (PDF)
- School Accreditation Ratings
- Graduation Requirements – Information on college and career readiness, diploma requirements, coursework, assessments, and the Academic and Career Plan.
Please submit any questions you have about the regulations or guidance document to the Office of Policy by phone 804-225-2092 or by email at email@example.com
Standards of Accreditation Archives
Documents are PDF files. Standards from 1970 through 1992 are scanned documents and will take longer to download.